Accident to my son Giles

On Sunday 9th July my son was out on a boat in Jersey.   Like most young Jerseymen and women who have grown up on this tiny island, they are deeply into swimming and all kinds of watersports.

He was coming ashore to attend the Royal Jersey Golf Club championship as I had presented the Corbin Trophy for the Ladies Championship when I was Lady Captain in 1986 and 1987.   Every year I am asked to present my Trophy to the new winner which is great as I keep up with all the Golf Club friends.   So this was to be the 30th anniversary of the Trophy and Giles said he would come and join in the celebrations.

Because of tides, he took a lift on the back of a friend’s jet ski, instead of being driven back into harbour.  They were not going fast, in fact Giles was dressed in ordinary clothes and shoes as he was going to the presentation.

As they were making their way to the harbour, a speed boat which had already been reported for driving recklessly near swimmers, crashed straight into them.   The prow of the renegade boat exploding into the middle of the jet ski…  and my son’s left leg took the impact.   This was so great that his femur, patella, tibia and fibula were exploded and shattered.  Paint from the boat was found in Giles bones by the surgeons.   Giles and his friend were thrown into the air, and the driver decided to drive on and escape.   He left them in the sea, literally way out at Noirmont Point.   By the grace of God Giles was wearing a lifejacket.

Giles’ friend who himself had minor  injuries, realised Giles was badly hurt, the sea around him was turning red from blood and the white bone exposed..  He managed to rescue Giles and bring him nearer to shore where a friendly boat stopped and pulled Giles on board.   The manager of the Water Sports in St.Brelade’s Bay helped carry Giles on a board up from the water’s edge to the waiting ambulance.

Giles’ friend phoned me, and in ten minutes I was in Accident and Emergency where the police and Giles’ friend were standing by the stretcher.  The board beside Giles read “? amputation of lower limb”.

So I stood over him and prayed aloud that in Jesus mighty name he would be saved and his leg would also be saved.   The doctor in charge then said it was amazing that Giles could still move the toes of the injured leg, and that the femoral artery was still pumping blood.  He had transfusions, a tourniquet, and was then lifted in a tiny plane to Southampton Trauma Unit with a critical care doctor and nurse.  No room for passengers.

The next morning his girlfriend, best friend and I were on the Red Eye Special to Southampton.  Giles was under the care of the legendary Mr Simon Tulley head of the trauma unit Green Team for the south of England.   He had also called in the legendary Mr. Gavin McCoubry, who heads up the plastics unit at eight different hospitals..  I quietly told both of them that thousands of people would be praying for Giles because I teach the Christian TV and radio Get Well Stay Well programs.

Giles was in an eight bed trauma ward, reminiscent of my Red Cross nursing days.   After five days and three operations he was transferred to Salisbury Hospital, to a special unit who are experienced in saving limbs and tissues of the British military personnel who had suffered catastrophic injuries and loss of limbs in Afghanistan and Iraq.  He underwent yet another operation on arrival in Salisbury, and today Monday 17th July had the massive twelve hour operation to actually address the massive orthopaedic reconstruction and muscle and ligament reattachment, and the skin grafts to cover the deep holes in Giles left leg.   Please continue to pray that God will do the miracle of restoring functionality to Giles leg, so this can be a huge testimony.



Posted in: Around The World, Article, Get Well Stay Well, Healing, Jersey

Leave a Comment (0) ↓
Translate »